6/19/2015

Day 1 and Hopefully More to Come


Now that I have completed my undergraduate program, I have time to address how unhealthy I have become since losing my daughter.  In the last few days I made a point to walk to various local health stores for items I took in 2014 when trying to conceive.  I also purchased a few things I noticed many women over 40 use when trying to get pregnant.  

spirulina
maca
raspberry tea
nettle tea
dong quai tea
milk thistle
evening primrose oil
☑ high folate (as prescribed by OB/gyn)
☑ juicing
☑ vitamins
☑ NO sugar
☑ NO gluten
☑ NO dairy
☑ 1 hour activity
☑ music 
☑ 30 minutes restorative yoga

Many of these focus on balancing hormones, detoxifying the mind & body, improving digestion, acting as adaptogens, and minimizing the effects of stress.

As an aspiring scientist, I have been lazy researching clinical studies to determine if there is evidence suggesting improved health and fertility effects.  I came across anecdotal cases and blogs reiterating other websites but have not investigated much further to confirm legitimacy.  I did find background information and interactions with different medications, as well as an NIH article on maca.  I've also read comments intimating limited evidence for using particular herbs to achieve specific medical goals.  But other than these few links and reading The Fertility Diet, which discusses studies from the Nurses' Health Study linking conditions and foods to irregular ovulation, I have not spent much time compiling individual studies.  

With a 65 day cycle, normal hormone levels, a good ovarian reserve, and no physical uterine or ovarian abnormalities, I guess I'm open to almost anything with or without evidence.  Maybe it's mind over matter?  All I need is a good sugar pill to help me opt for healthier dishes and open perspectives.  And an efficient compass for finding humor in such heavy endeavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment