6/21/2015

Bottom's Up


Copyright 2009-2014 by Holistik Health, LLC



Spirulina
Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae known for being rich in micro and macronutrients [1]In vivo and in vitro studies suggest spirulina may improve immunity, inhibit allergies, and provide anti-viral & anti-tumor effects [1].  However, evidence establishing human benefits have not been shown and further studies are required [1].  It is important spirulina is only purchased from trusted brands, as it can be contaminated with heavy metals and microcystins [1].
    



I have had so many green drinks in the last few days, I think I'm finally getting used to the taste again!  Sometimes the amount of kale makes the juice bitter.  And I usually add a tablespoon of spirulina, which is overpowering.  But today I used a sample of Amazing Greens I found at New Seasons because it comes with spirulina and many different additional vegetables.  The packet touts detoxifying and alkalining properties.  And yes, I fell for it.  But I must admit, it tasted incredible.

My husband's semen analysis came back mildly abnormal a few weeks ago, so a follow up is required if we are not pregnant in the next 2 months.  In the interim, everything I make for me, I share with him. 

Eating healthy on a budget is a little hard when you're trying to eat a large & diverse amount of vegetable & fruits, as well as "superfoods." But I comparison-shop and rely on bulk bins & the Grocery Outlet for organics & gluten-free items that are overpriced elsewhere.  Everyday I make sure to have at least one drink!








REFERENCES
Spirulina. (n.d.). Holistik Health.  Retrieved June 20, 2015 at http://holistikhealth.com/superfoods/spirulina/. 
Spirulina.  (2011).  University of Maryland Medical Center.  Retrieved June 20, 2015 
               at http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/spirulina.

0 comments:

Post a Comment